Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Grammar Guilt

It was all started 10 years ago. I hated it. It was a little game my teacher made up, He called it Grammar Court. We all had to keep track of when classmates used grammar incorrectly, and report it in grammar court. I think pretty much everybody hated it. Maybe it was because we didn't like to be held accountable by our peers, or maybe it was the whole "I don't know if you can but you may" responses we heard oh so frequently. Regardless of the reasons, it served its purpose. While I will readily admit I am far from "Grammar Queen" It now at times will irk me when people use grammar incorrectly. (i.e. I seen him do it, or I done it yesterday) As you read my blog I'm most certain you will be able to find gramatical errors, but I'm mainly talking about the verbal gramatical errors. :) Along with grammar class, came spelling & vocab. Now as much as I hated grammar with all the rules that never change except for the 2 exceptions...I did love spelling. Perhaps because it came easy to me. It also irks me when people cant spell - especially on blogs that i read. It can at times be a deciding factor of whether I return to that blog again. Now granted I am not Miss Spelling Bee winner, but when it is common, everyday words, either learn how to spell or use the spell check button - that's what it is there for. I've said all this to say that for the last three or so days I've had a bad case of Grammar Guilt and I'm not sure how to alleviate it. It all comes from when I was texting a friend of mine, and I use don't instead of doesn't. The reason was the word was shorter. I feel as though I went over to the dark side. And don't even get me started on the text way of shortening and misspelling words... Any way you can think of to help alleviate my guilt?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Maybe if you judge others grammer less, you won't feel judged? Have a fun weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete