Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hope...

You know those moments that are just ordinary, & all the sudden, that ordinary moment turns into a moment of utter clarity. It can be a phrase, a song, or just a insignificant greeting card saying. But at that moment it speeks so deeply into your life & to your particular place in life, that you will simply remember it for the rest of your life.

I'm sure if I would think for a little I could come up with many instances, but there are a few that come to mind immediately. And alot of them have to do with songs.
I'm a words girl. I read, I write, I talk. Words do it for me. So, songs do it for me. Lyrics can be so powerful. Words are powerful.

It's been about a year. We went to a Casting Crowns concert. It was kinda a last minute thing. We had other plans, but when the opportunity came up, we took it. Our seats were in the very top row at the Giant Center. As far away from the stage as you could be without being outside or on the roof. But it was monumental.
At the time, I was struggling with alot of questions. The carpet had been ripped out from under me, and I felt like my world was a snow globe being shaken by an over-exuberant 2 year old. I thought I had been dealing with my "issues". But it's funny how they can come back up with no warning.
Especially when someone else puts your feelings into words in the form of a song.
When CC sang Praise you in this storm everyone starts singing along, and as the lyrics were up there on the jumbotron, I realized for the first time that the lyrics were praise you in this storm, not the storm, and that was the first chip at my heart. Cause I was in a very real storm to me, and to sing that I will Praise God in the midst of the storm, was alot different than telling God that I would praise Him in this storm. The song starts with these words.
      I was sure by now That You would have reached down
      And wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day
That was exactly what I was feeling. In all honesty I think I may have been a bit angry at God. I know, how un-Christian right? I was angry about injustice. I was angry that the power of my words were  being demeened & nullified. I was angry that God wasnt stepping in & saving the day. I was feeling trapped in a situation that was out. of.  my.  control.
     I remember when I stumbled in the windYou heard my cry,You raised me up again
    But my strength is almost gone How can I carry on if I can't find You
I was having a very hard time finding God in the midst of my struggles. Oh there were many times in my life I could look back & see how God was at work in my life. How He had made things work out. But in my state that day, I couldn't see it. I was fighting for all I was worth. I was seeking truth. But I was being met with brick walls. I was drained. And in my human mind I could not see how God - a God of truth, justice, love, mercy, & hope- could be found in my situation.
   I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands

   For You are who You are no matter where I am
   And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand
   You never left my side and though my heart is torn
   I will praise You in this storm
It was that moment in the darkenss of the nosebleed section at a Casting Crowns concert that I hadn't even planned to be at. God was there & Hope was restored. Hope in the future. hope that the injustice would end. Hope that I would not be in this storm for the rest of my life. Granted it wasn't over. But there was the final realization that this is not all that God has in store for me. And...that He wasn't going anywhere.

As I said, it's been a year. A year of growth, & a year of realizing just how great my God is. Not great as in "that was a great sunset" but great in the way that He is my Strong Tower, my Shelter in the Storm. My Defender, my Abba.

No comments:

Post a Comment